Are you looking for gas safety advice for your caravan park or holiday complex?

If you own or run a large complex like this, it’s absolutely vital that you stay up-to-date on the latest gas safety regulations, and ensure annual gas safety checks are carried out on time, with all appliances meeting certain standards.

Below, I’m going to talk you through all your need to know about getting your annual checks sorted, and CP12 certificates issued.

Whose responsibility is it to arrange annual checks?

If you run a large complex, which is fully owned and managed by you, then you are directly responsible for arranging annual checks and CP12 certificates – and making sure these are carried out in a timely manner.

However, if you’re just charging ground rent, the responsibility will fall to the owners of the particular caravan, as we’ve mentioned in our blog post ‘Does Your Ground Rent Include Your Gas Certificate?’. One caveat; if your clients fail to organise this in time, it may be detailed in your contract that you can arrange for this to be carried out.

Detail gas safety in your contracts

I’d recommend detailing in your contract with clients that you will take care of all gas safety checks and CP12s – that way, you can keep on top of everything and have your own designated companies that you use.

This also helps keep records, paperwork and requirements streamlined, with no mistakes. Your gas certficates should always be kept up-to-date, and stored for a minimum of two years.

Find a qualified engineer

Many appliances found in caravan parks and large holiday complexes tend to be run off LPG gas – that is, liquid gas in bottles or tanks, as there’s usually no available mains supply.

Engineers who service this type of appliance must have a separate qualification saying they are allowed to work with LPG gas. This is because LPG very different from mains gas – it’s heavier than air, and can drop under the caravan or to floor level. That’s why you must always ventilate underneath a caravan or mobile home.

You can use the official Gas Safe Register website to find a qualified heating engineer in your area. Most reputable companies will be listed here, but you also want one that will be able to answer your calls whilst still being big enough to cope with the workload.

Ask for a bulk discount

If – and this is most likely – you require multiple caravans or holiday homes to be serviced at once, you should definitely request a bulk discount; most good heating engineers should be able to offer you this.

For instance, if we were to travel to eight locations to carry out inspections, there’s going to be at least three hours travelling time. So, eight inspections at the same site should allow for a discount of around 10%. If you were getting around 100 inspections carried out at once, you should expect a discount of 20 – 25%.

I used to be in regular contact with a company in Dunbar who used to get us to do checks on around 50 – 60 caravans every year. However, eventually they got bigger, bought another park and decided to take things in-house and employ their own engineer – it made better business sense!

Set reminders

Although it is your responsibility to set reminders and arrange these annual checks to make sure your CP12s are issued by a certain time every year, most gas engineers and companies will also have special software that will flag up when work is due to be carried out.

For the heating company in question, this is straightforward business, and they’ll probably want to keep on top of things and stay in touch so that they don’t lose out on repeat work.


I hope you’ve found this blog helpful, and by now, you should have a better idea of who carries out gas safety checks in caravan parks and holiday complexes. Remember, always ensure you pick a reputable company that is fully qualified to work with LPG gas.

If you have any specific questions I haven’t managed to answer above, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or get in touch with me directly – I’m here to help!